Cautions and Warnings
Please refer to instruction manual for full list of safety warnings
- Do NOT use if you have a pacemaker (or if you have a heart rhythm problem) or with any electronic medical devices. Using this unit with electronic medical devices may cause erroneous operation of the device. Stimulation in the direct vicinity of an implanted device may affect some models. Stimulation on the front of the neck can affect your heart rate. Very strong stimulation across the chest may cause an extra heartbeat.
- Do NOT use if you are or may be pregnant. It is not known whether TENS may affect foetal development.
- Do NOT use when driving, operating machinery, or similar actions needing muscular control. Loose electrode pads, damaged leads, or sudden changes in contact may cause brief involuntary muscle movements.
- Do NOT use to mask or relieve undiagnosed pain. This may delay diagnosis of a progressive condition.
- Do NOT use if you have, in the area being treated: active or suspected cancer or undiagnosed pain with a history of cancer. Stimulation directly through a confirmed or suspected malignancy should be avoided as it may stimulate growth and promote spread of cancer cells.
- Caution should be used if you have suspected or diagnosed epilepsy as electrical stimulation may affect seizure threshold.
- Caution should be observed when using the device at the same time as being connected to monitoring equipment with body worn electrode pads. It may interfere with the signals being monitored.
- Caution should be used following recent surgical procedures. Stimulation may disrupt the healing process. Caution Simultaneous connection to high frequency surgical equipment may result in burns and damage to the stimulator.
- Caution Strong electromagnetic fields (electrosurgery/ microwave cookers/ mobile phones) may affect the correct operation of this unit. If it appears to behave unusually, move it away from these devices.
- Caution Do not permit use by children unable to understand the instructions or persons with cognitive disabilities, i.e.; Alzheimer’s disease or dementia.
- Caution Keep away from children under 5 years of age. Long cord – risk of strangulation in infants.
- Caution should be observed when using the perfect TENS at high strength settings. Prolonged use at high settings may cause muscle injury or tissue inflammation. The perfect TENS is capable of delivering outputs in excess of 10 mA (RMS) or 10V averaged over any period of 1 sec.
DO NOT PLACE ELECTRODE PADS:
- On skin, which does not have normal sensation. If the skin is numb too great a strength may be used, which could result in skin inflammation.
- On broken skin. The electrode pads could encourage infection.
- On the front of the neck. This could cause the airway to close, giving breathing problems. May cause sudden drop in blood pressure (vasovagal response).
- Over the eyes. May affect eyesight or cause headaches.
- Across the front of the head. Effect on patients who have had strokes or seizures is not known. May affect your sense of balance. The effects of stimulation on the brain are unknown.
ELECTRODE PADS CAUTION:
- Caution: Do not ignore any allergic reaction to the electrode pads: If a skin irritation develops, stop using TENS, as this type of electrodes may not be suitable for you.
- Caution: Do not use this device with leads or electrode pads other than those recommended by the manufacturer. Performance may vary from specification. Electrodes with smaller surface area may cause tissue irritation.
Note: Electrode pads supplied have no measurable latex content.
TO KEEP YOUR DEVICE IN GOOD WORKING ORDER, OBSERVE THE FOLLOWING ADDITIONAL CAUTIONS:
- Caution: Do not immerse your device in water or place it close to excessive heat such as a fireplace or radiant heater or sources of high humidity such as a nebulizer or kettle as this may cause it to cease to operate correctly.
- Caution: Keep the device away from sunlight, as long-term exposure to sunlight may affect the rubber causing it to become less elastic and crack.
- Caution: Keep the device away from lint and dust, as long-term exposure to lint or dust may affect the sockets or cause the battery connector to develop a bad contact.
- Caution: Temperature & Relative Humidity of storage: – 20°C–+40°C, 8%–70% R.H. Temperature & Relative Humidity of transportation: -20°C–+40°C, 8%–70% R.H.
- Caution: Do not attempt to open or modify the TENS unit. This may affect the safe operation of the unit and will invalidate the warranty.
Note: There are no known side effect to TENS use and long-term TENS use is not harmful.